by Anastasia Andrzejewski
Simply, yes, you can make a living (and a very comfortable one I might add) selling on ebay.
My caveat? It’s not easy. Being a successful ebay sellers takes a lot of effort, discipline, skill and passion. You have to have a thick skin and be willing and confident to push through and grow from the bleak times when everything seems to go wrong. And, of course, there are external factors such as global economic conditions which can make it a tough row to hoe.
But, my retort to my caveat? The great Dolly Parton says it best: “if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.” And, with ebay, not only is it possible to find a rainbow but there is a pot of gold on the other end to be had as well!
So, how does one get started? I suggest you take your time and start selling on a part-time basis, as it takes time to:
- understand how ebay and PayPal works
- find your strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes of selling on ebay and in being an entrepreneur
- build an inventory
- learn seller best practices
- discover the resources which make you a better seller and business person
- create a plan for your business and and action plan for how to grow it on a day-to-day basis
- establish a solid reputation on ebay
- pass ebay’s litmus test so that you have fewer and fewer restrictions on the number and value of items you can list
So, with that being said, how do you begin dipping your toe in the ebay waters?
- Try selling on ebay when you have another source of income. Start selling stuff you have around the house. See my blog post, “What sells on ebay? Stuff sitting around your house,” for ideas.
- Just to reiterate–start small!
- Keep a written track record of your success and failures as well as your likes and dislikes
- Educate yourself and connect with others (listen to ebay Radio, read books, join facebook groups, etc.)
- Create a one-page business plan
- Stick to your plan and make some money!
If selling on ebay is the right fit for you, you will soon discover that ebay is an incredible platform for having the world become your marketplace. Products, which maybe 20 years ago you only thought could be sold at a garage or yard sale for pocket change, can now be sold to people throughout the world for top dollar. Through ebay you have a trusted, established, and easy to use venue for selling a wide variety of goods. Ebay is a powerful springboard from which you can express your entrepreneurialism and create something that sustains you financially and mentally.